Newsletter #2 from O'Reilly UG Program

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 22:45:23 CDT 2001

Denise,

I have five things.

1. First, I want to thank you for all the work you've put into the UG
program. I've been forwarding all the UG mailings to the Pikes Peak Perl
Mongers, and I added the UG graphic to our Web site tonight. That's an
improvement over your individual mailings. I wasn't forwarding many of the
non-Perl items. But still, I like your approach of having the user group
contacts serve as your liaisons to the each group's membership. O'Reilly
seems to be one of the most clueful companies around, especially when it
comes to using the Internet effectively. (See
http://pikes-peak.pm.org/#17Jul01, where I say so publicly!) And all the
O'Reilly UG benefits are just beginning to sink in. Thank you!

2. I was wondering -- is the newsletter online at http://ug.oreilly.com/? I
couldn't find it. If it isn't, it sure would be handy to have it there. I
think some -- maybe most -- Pikes Peak Perl Mongers would prefer getting
just a summary of the newsletter from me with a pointer to the URL they can
visit if they want to see all the articles.

3. I noticed that one of the UG benefits is "speaking engagements with
O'Reilly authors." What would be involved in getting a speaker to come to
Colorado Springs soon? We're only a couple hours from great Rocky Mountain
skiing, if an author would like to come during ski season. Of course, the
other three seasons are beautiful here, too. :-) See
http://www.pikespeakcam.com/ for examples of the year-round grandeur.

4. You wrote:

> ...O'Reilly offers 20% discount to UG members on all conference and
> tutorial fees. Use the DSUG discount code....

One of the Pikes Peak Perl Mongers asked me what the code was to get
discounts. Is it "DSUG" or something else? Please advise.

5. Please note that my e-mail has changed. I'm now tbchambers at yahoo.com.

<>< Tim Chambers
Founder, Pikes Peak Perl Mongers
http://pikes-peak.pm.org/