Fw: Newsletter #1 from O'Reilly UG Program

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 18:04:22 CDT 2001

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 13:33:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Denise Olliffe <deniseo at oreilly.com>
Subject: Newsletter #1 from O'Reilly UG Program

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
Volume 1, #1
www.oreilly.com

Until now, I sent random announcements as news or books were released.
After consideration, I've decided to consolidate the information I
send, by weekly newsletter, so that you are aware of all things
O'Reilly & beyond, and the technologies we cover.

Please let me know your thoughts about the information I provide--I
hope you find it easy to read, informative, and useful.  I'm open to
suggestions, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

If you would rather not receive this newsletter, please let me know.
Keep in mind that I will not be sending other announcements (unless
there's a pressing news item) which means that this is a great
channel for keeping updated on O'Reilly news.

I have a few questions at the bottom...please take the time to answer
them--which will help me create a newsletter you'll enjoy reading.

If you aren't aware of all the benefits of the O'Reilly UG Program,
I'll send you the details. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded so
that you're able to take full advantage of the program.

--Denise

****************************
NEWS from O'Reilly & beyond
****************************

I would be grateful if you would pass on the info that your members
will find interesting...

Wednesday, Microsoft announced that it will be releasing shared source
implementations of the .NET Common Language Infrastructure (CLI), C#
compiler, and ECMAscript compiler for both Windows and FreeBSD.  The
license will be considerably more liberal than the shared source
license previously announced for Windows.  Availability is expected in
the fourth quarter. Tim OReillys exclusive interview with Dave Stutz,
the group program manager for the project, has just been published on
the O'Reilly Network:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2001/06/27/dotnet.html

CALL FOR PAPERS:
PRESENTERS WANTED FOR THE FIRST O'REILLY BIOINFORMATICS CONFERENCE
January 28-31, 2002, La Paloma Resort in Tucson, ArizonaL:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/cfp.html

I'm searching for Bioinformatics UGs...if you know of one, please
tell them about O'Reilly's UG Program:
http://ug.oreilly.com/

For those who have gone beyond basic Linux security principles, here's
the first of a three-part series which delves deeper. On O'Reilly
Network's Linux DevCenter, Carl Constantine covers tools and techniques
that system administrators can use to protect their networks, including
discussion of nmap, Ethereal, and how to set up honey pots:  Tools of
the Trade: Part 1 by Carl Constantine * June 22, 2001
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/06/22/linux_security.html

Gates: Open source GPL is 'Pac-Man-like'
Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates plunges into the ongoing open-source
tussle, saying "there are problems for commercial users" with the
General Public License
http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/linux/0,12249,5092935,00.html

"Peer-to-peer is a side effect of the increased availability of
ubiquitous networking," says Tim O'Reilly--in this zdnet.com article on
P2P at:
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2773793,00.html

P2P Mind Share-The new peer-to-peer architectures may not be pure P2P,
but they will offer a return on investment:
http://www.internetworld.com/061501/06.15.01ebusiness1.jsp

Come to the O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer conference and hear more from Tim and
industry leaders shaping the future of P2P:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/

Information wants to be valuable...
Tim O'Reilly joins the debate at Nature on the impact the Web has had
on publishing original scientific research. Tim sees many parallels
between the work of free software authors and the work of scientists,
pointing out that both are more interested in making sure their work is
disseminated than in maximizing their return.
http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/Articles/oreilly.html

...and Tim explains to the New York Times why he thinks software
programs should be like water: Free and Transparent.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/13/technology/13HAFN.html

Wall Street Journal columnist Lee Gomes writes that Microsoft has
continued to use open source software in several majorproducts, despite
denying the practice and mounting an anti-open-source campaign.
http://public.wsj.com/news/hmc/sb992819157437237260.htm

Come hear Microsoft senior vice president Craig Mundie debate open
source leaders July 26 at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/ Also...What would you ask him?
Mundie recently raised the ire of the open source community.  Here's
your chance to put your questions to him:
http://oreilly.com/news/mundie_0601.html

Linux Device Drivers--In this interview on O'Reilly's Linux DevCenter,
Jonathan Corbet  talks about the current state of Linux device drivers,
where he thinks they're going in the future, and the open source
development process. Jonathan is coauthor of O'Reilly's upcoming Linux
Device Drivers, 2nd Edition.
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/06/08/drivers_update.html

Jonathan Corbet also responds to the five best reader questions about
developing device drivers for Linux at:
http://linux.oreilly.com/news/lddans_0601.html

"O'Reilly and .NET?"
With all of our upcoming books and article coverage on .NET, you might
ask yourself why O'Reilly, as a known supporter of open source, is
spending resources explaining Microsoft technology. Dale Dougherty has
the answer:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2001/05/31/netdevletter.html

It's undeniable: XML-RPC is hot. And the authors of the highly
anticipated "Programming Web Services with XML-RPC" tell you why.
http://web.oreilly.com/news/xmlrpc_0601.html

************************
BOOKS hot off the press
************************

Here's a list of O'Reilly's latest titles. Review copies are available
upon request. Click on either link for book details--the press release
is the top link, for those who make use of the it.

Com+ Programming with Visual Basic
http://press.oreilly.com/compluspvb.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/compluspvb/

Subclassing & Hooking with Visual Basic
http://press.oreilly.com/subhook.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/subhookvb/

.Net Framework Essentials
http://press.oreilly.com/dotnetfrmess.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dotnetfrmess/

Oracle Essentials: Oracle9i, Oracle8i & Oracle8
http://press.oreilly.com/oressentials2.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oressentials2/

Cisco IOS Access Lists
http://press.oreilly.com/cisrtlist.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cisrtlist/

Effective Awk Programming, 3rd Edition
http://press.oreilly.com/awkprog3.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/awkprog3/

For UPCOMING titles, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/new.html

Reminder: Your members receive 20% discount on
all books purchased direct from O'Reilly using the
DSUG discount code.

*********************************
UPCOMING O'Reilly Events
*********************************

First off, I would like to thank all 39 user groups that posted our
conference banners. I forward your postings to Tim and other O'Reilly
staff, who share my appreciation of your efforts. I thought of listing
all your group names, however because there were so many of you, I
wasn't able. If you would like to see a listing of the groups who have
spread the word, let me know.

O'Reilly Open Source Convention
July 23-27, 2001
Sheraton San Diego Hotel
SSan Diego, CA
Early Bird Registration ends July 2nd
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
September 18-21, 2001
Omni Shoreham Hotel
Washington, D.C.
Early Bird Registration ends August 17th
http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/

UG Discount for conferences:
O'Reilly offers 20% discount to UG members on all conference and
tutorial fees. Use the DSUG discount code.  If registering
online, enter the code where it says "If you received a discount code,
enter it here." If you register before the "Early Bird" discounts end,
you'll save the 20% on already discounted "Early Bird" prices.

*******************
QUESTIONS for you
*******************

Please take the time to answer the following questions. The answers
will help me to produce the type of newsletter you'd like to see from
O'Reilly:

Would you prefer the news be broken down by interest or does this
all-in-one format work for you?

Is there anything you'd like to hear about from O'Reilly, that we
aren't currently sending?

Review copies are available of all our titles. Does your group review
books?

If yes, do you find the "New Titles" information helpful?

If you have any helpful suggestions, feel free to pass them along.

If your UG has an announcement that you'd like my help
communicating to other groups, let me know. I'm happy to include
the info in an upcoming newsletter.

Many groups have already helped out the O'Reilly UG Program
by posting our sponsorship banner on group web sites or
newsletters. If your group hasn't done so, please remember
to add O'Reilly to your list of sponsors, or add one of the
following graphics:
http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/
If on a web site, please have it link to:
http://www.oreilly.com/

Until next week,
Denise

P.S.
Sorry this was so long, because it was the first, I was holding
lots of news to send you. The future newsletters won't be as
verbose. ;)