Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, December 13

Tim Chambers tbcatwork at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 11:47:06 CST 2001

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
December 13, 2001

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK:
BOOKS:
 - Mac OS X: The Missing Manual
 - Review Copy Guidelines
NEWS:
 - Java Recipe of the Day
 - Setting Up Your Environment to Develop SQLJ Programs
 - An Interview with David Flannagan
 - Transforming XML
 - Top Ten SAX2 Tips
MACWORLD UPDATE:
 - David Pogue will visit the UG Lounge, and much more
CONFERENCES:
 - Call for Papers Deadline Extended for the O'Reilly Emerging
   Technology Conference

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE....

MAC OS X: THE MISSING MANUAL
You've been waiting for this title to release, and it's finally here!
David Pogue's genius has struck again, with yet another important book
that should have been in the box. "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual"
promises to help you sort through the completely new OS that has had
Mac crowds reeling with questions.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macosxmm/
An interview with David can be found at:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/11/09/missingmanual.html
For David Pogue's scheduled Macworld engagements, see "Macworld Update"
below.

REVIEW COPY GUIDELINES
however we would like to remind groups requesting copies for review that
it's appropriate to write a review in exchange for the books provided.

If you would rather post a press release that O'Reilly has written, in
lieu of writing a review, let me know. I'm happy to provide you with
the link to the press release or email the entire release to you.

If you're new to writing product reviews, I found this article from
APCUG (Association of Personal Computer Users) to be insightful,
hopefully it can help give you some pointers:
http://www.apcug.org/reports/apr01/r010428.htm

Let me know if you have any questions.

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members....

JAVA
--------------------

JAVA RECIPE OF THE DAY
Begin each morning with a fresh programming recipe extracted from the
"Java Cookbook" by Ian Darwin.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/javacook/solution.html

SETTING UP YOUR ENVIRONMENT TO DEVELOP SQLJ PROGRAMS
Learn how to set up your environment to develop SQLJ applications in
this first installment of Jason Price's Learning SQLJ series. Jason is
the author of "Java Programming with Oracle SQLJ."
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/12/05/learning_sqlj.html

AN INTERVIEW WITH DAVID FLANNAGAN
We asked David about the state of JavaScript and what's new in the
latest version of both the language and his book, "JavaScript: The
Definitive Guide, 4th Edition."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2001/12/04/flanagan.html

XML
--------------------

TRANSFORMING XML
Bob DuCharme continues his examination of how to control whitespace in
XML documents in this month's Transforming XML column. For a complete
list of O'Reilly's XML books, visit xml.oreilly.com.
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/05/whitespace.html

TOP TEN SAX2 TIPS
David Brownell gives you the top 10 tips at:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/12/05/sax2.html

MACWORLD UPDATE

Monday, January 7th
Apple User Group University
Marriott Hotel, San Francisco, CA
O'Reilly is a sponsor for the Apple User Group University--so visit us
at the vendor tabletop event. David Pogue will be signing books (bring
your favorite Pogue title). I'll be there too, along with the lovely
Marsee Henon. I can't wait to meet you and see familiar faces once
again.

January 8 - 11
Macworld, San Francisco
http://www.macworldexpo.com/index.html
Visit O'Reilly booth #416, and register to win five O'Reilly books of
your choice. David Pogue will be speaking at the O'Reilly booth and
other venues--see following shedule for Pogue sightings not to miss:

Tuesday, Jan 8
2:30  Autographing & conversation at our Booth #416
4:00  User Group Lounge (See your Macworld schedule for location)

Wednesday, Jan 9
9:30 Future Directions of Apple (panel discussion--see your Macworld
       schedule for location)
2:00 King iMovies (See your Macworld schedule for location)
4:00 Autographing & conversation, O'Reilly booth #416
6:30 Appearance at the Apple Store, 451 University Ave., Palo Alto, CA
       94301 (650) 617-9000

Thursday, Jan 10
1:45 PalmPilot talk (panel discussion--see your Macworld schedule for
       location)
4:00 Book signing at Alladin Booth #1407

Friday, Jan 11
10:00 Best of Mac Secrets (panel discussion--see your Macworld schedule
        for location)
1:00  Book signing at O'Reilly booth #416 booth

O'REILLY CONFERENCES

O'REILLY BIOINFORMATICS TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
January 28-31, 2002
Tuscon, Arizona

KEYNOTE:
BUILDING A NATION FROM A LAND OF CITY STATES
Speaker: Lincon D. Stein, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
"Today, the desktop computer has become an indispensable part of the
biologist's tool chest," Stein says. Lincoln will discuss the
fragmentation of bioinformatics protocols, technologies and standards,
that together created a landscape of past and current efforts to reduce
fragmentation, and speculates on ways to move past the medieval
city-state mentality toward a nation of cooperative bioinformatics
services.  For an interview with Lincoln Stein, go to:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2001/12/07/stein.html

FREE NEWSLETTER SPONSORED BY "THE SCIENTIST"
"The Scientist" is a bi-weekly magazine that reports on and analyzes the
trends, news, topics, technologies and people that impact the world of
life scientists. It provides a forum for its readers to garner
information, seek solutions and make decisions. Apply for your free
print subscription: www.the-scientist.com

REGISTRATION DISCOUNT
Registration is filling up fast for this innovative conference. If you
register, remember to include the user group DSUG discount code, and
receive 20% off conference and tutorial fees.

-------------------------

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
O'Reilly & Associates invites entrepreneurs, technologists,
programmers, business developers, policy-makers, and Internet
strategists to lead tutorial and conference sessions at the:

O'REILLY EMERGING TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
May 13-16, 2002 (New dates)
Santa Clara, CA
The CFP has been extended to December 31st.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2002/create/e_sess

POST OUR CONFERENCE BANNER--GET SOME GOODIES
Help out the O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference by posting one of
the following banners on your UG web site:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/18/banner_ads.html
Have the banner link back to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon2002/
Let me know if you're able to post the banner, and I'll be sure to send
you a "goody" of choice--T-Shirt, book, etc.  If possible, provide
O'Reilly discount information to your members for conferences: UG
members receive 20% off when using the DSUG discount code. If members
register before "Early Bird" registration ends, they receive a
double-discount when using the DSUG code.

Until next week,

--Denise