Fw: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, Dec. 6, 2001

Tim Chambers tbcatwork at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 18:13:25 CST 2001

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
December 6, 2001

For those in the U.S. who celebrated Thanksgiving, I hope you had a
wonderful holiday. I'd gained 5 lbs, then lost it after a visit from
the flu. All's well that ends well. It's been a few weeks since you
last heard from me, so here goes....

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
Books:
 - *10* New O'Reilly Titles, See "Book News"
News:
 - Tim O'Reilly on the Early Web
 - What's in a Nutshell?
 - An Interview with Nat Torkington and Lorrie LeJeune
 - The Ties that BIND
 - Road Testing the Powerbook Ti 667
 - Using Python and XML with Microsoft .NET My Services
 - The Advantages of Oracle RMAN
 - An Interview with the Creator of Ruby
 - Dreamweaver Power Combinations
Other Stuff:
 - Looking for speakers?
 - Call for Papers--We Want YOU
 - Pesky Reminder

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members....

GENERAL INTEREST
--------------------

TIM O'REILLY ON THE EARLY WEB
The Stanford Linear Accelerator Center is hosting a symposium to honor
the ten year anniversary of the Web in America. Tim O'Reilly and Dale
Dougherty, O'Reilly's vice president of Online Publishing, have been
invited to talk about their experiences creating the first Web portal,
GNN (Global Network Navigator), in 1992. Tim takes this opportunity to
reflect on the innovations O'Reilly & Associates has contributed to the
Web's development. http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/907

WHAT'S IN A NUTSHELL?
Ever wonder what O'Reilly requires of a book before it can become a
title in our treasured In a Nutshell series? O'Reilly editor Bruce Epstein,
defines Nutshell books: http://www.oreilly.com/news/nutshell_1101.html

BIOINFORMATICS
--------------------

AN INTERVIEW WITH NAT TORKINGTON AND LORRIE LEJEUNE: CO-CHAIRS OF O'REILLY'S
UPCOMING BIOINFORMATICS TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
Learn why bioinformatics is a hot topic, and why it's made O'Reilly's
radar:  http://bio.oreilly.com/news/bioinfoint_1101.html

EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION ENDS TOMORROW, DECEMBER 7th
For the O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology Conference
January 28-31, 2002--Tucson, AZ
If you register by end of day Friday, you receive a double discount
when using the DSUG discount code. Get 20% off Early Bird prices!

LINUX
--------------------

THE TIES THAT BIND
It's possible to support a Windows 2000 environment using a traditional
BIND name server, but it requires some special configuration. To learn
a number of configuration options, and how to accommodate Windows 2000
with BIND, read this Linux Magazine article by Cricket Liu, coauthor of
O'Reilly's "DNS and BIND, 4th Edition."
http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-03/bind_01.html

MAC/APPLE
--------------------

ROAD TESTING THE POWERBOOK Ti 667
Apple's professional Titanium PowerBook has plenty of sex appeal on the
outside, but how does it handle the curves in real-world testing?
Derrick Story compares the new G4 667 MHz CPU performance with the
older PowerBook G3, and looks at the super-wide display, redesigned
keyboard, and controversial track pad.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/11/20/titanium667.html

.NET
--------------------

USING PYTHON AND XML WITH MICROSOFT .NET MY SERVICES
Learn how to create a request for the .NET Contacts service using
Python and XML on Linux:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2001/12/03/myservices.html

ORACLE
--------------------

THE ADVANTAGES OF ORACLE RMAN
RMAN offers numerous advantages over traditional backup techniques.
Here are brief descriptions of several useful ones:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2001/11/27/oraclerman.html

RUBY
--------------------

AN INTERVIEW WITH THE CREATOR OF RUBY
Yukihiro "Matz" Matsumoto talks about Ruby's history, the influence of
Perl and Python on Ruby, and his new O'Reilly book, "Ruby in a
Nutshell." http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/11/29/ruby.html

WEB
--------------------

DREAMWEAVER POWER COMBINATIONS
Heather Williamson discusses four scenarios that will assist you in
creating a more interactive site, in less time, using Dreamweaver tools
and the Dreamweaver Exchange Web site. Heather is coauthor of
O'Reilly's recently released "Dreamweaver in a Nutshell."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2001/12/04/dreamweaver.html

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.
Press releases available at: http://press.oreilly.com/

SANTA CAME EARLY:

Ruby in a Nutshell
Order Number: 2149
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ruby/

Web Security, Privacy & Commerce, 2nd Edition
Order Number: 0456
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/websec2/

Physics for Game Developers
Order Number: 0065
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/physicsgame/

Dreamweaver in a Nutshell
Order Number: 2394
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dreamweavernut/

Building Wireless Community Networks
Order Number: 2041
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelesscommnet/

Designing with JavaScript, 2nd Edition
Order Number: 360X
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/designjs2/

JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, 4th Edition
Order Number: 0480
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript4/

Learning Oracle PL/SQL
Order Number: 1800
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnoracle/

Designing large-Scale LANs
Order Number: 1509
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lgscalelans/

Java Programming with Oracle JDBC
Order Number: 088x
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jorajdbc/

CALL FOR PAPERS

O'Reilly & Associates invites entrepreneurs, technologists,
programmers, business developers, policy-makers, and Internet
strategists to lead tutorial and conference sessions at the:

O'REILLY EMERGING TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
Westin Santa Clara
April 22-25, 2002--Santa Clara, CA

The submission deadline for all proposals is December 12, 2001.
Presenters will be notified of selection results by January 22, 2002.

For more participation details and to submit proposals, visit:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/et2002/create/e_sess

Early reminder:
O'Reilly offers UG members 20% discount on conferences, which can be a
substantial savings if you register early and take advantage of the
double-discount during Early Bird pricing. To be notified when
registration opens, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon2002/

LOOKING FOR GUEST SPEAKERS?

ATTENTION NORTHERN CALIFORNIA UGS:

If you're in the San Francisco Bay area, Rael Dornfest, O'Reilly
Emerging Technolgy Conference program chair, might be able to speak to
your group in January. Contact me with your meeting dates, and I'll see
what I can arrange. You can view Rael's interesting weblogs at
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon2002/

Also, Rob Flickenger, author of O'Reilly's just-released "Building
Wireless Community Networks" is ready to talk to UGs located in the San
Francisco Bay area. Rob founded the NoCatNet developer's group
http://nocat.net/, take a look.

O'Reilly also has facilities for meetings. If you're located near
Sonoma County, CA, and would like to have a meeting at O'Reilly, we
could arrange something.

Want to hold a meeting at your local bookstore? Benefits everyone.  Let
me know, and I'll see if we can work out a venue.

REMINDER

I've noticed that many UGs still need to update my contact info for
their newsletters sent snailmail. We've moved into new offices, here
is the address:

Denise Olliffe
O'Reilly & Associates
1005 Gravenstein Hwy North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
Direct Line: 707-827-7090
800-998-9938 x7090
deniseo at oreilly.com

JUST A PHONE CALL AWAY....
If you have an event coming up, and have a timely request, please give
me a call instead of email. Sometimes, email isn't the best form of
communication when dates are involved. That way, I'm sure to get your
message. I've provided an 800# above for your convenience. Hey,
besides, it's nice to hear a voice once in a while.

Until next week,

--Denise