Newsletter #8 from O'Reilly UG Program

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 15:30:42 CDT 2001

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:14:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Denise Olliffe <deniseo at oreilly.com>
Subject: Newsletter #8 from O'Reilly UG Program

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
Volume 1, #8

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK...
Books:
 - XSLT
 - Java Programming with Oracle SQLJ
 - Java & XML, 2nd Edition
 - The Root of All Evil (the latest from Illiad)
News:
 - Top Ten Java and XSLT tips
 - P2P Goes to War
 - Load Balancers As Firewalls
 - Fighting Malicious Mobile Code in a Windows Environment

NEWS from O'Reilly & Beyond

I would be grateful if you would alert your group to the news they'd
find valuable.

Java:
---------------

Top Ten Java and XSLT tips
O'Reilly author Eric Burke provides ten valuable tips for using XSLT
with Java. To learn how to apply XSL transformations in real-world
situations with Java, don't miss Eric's upcoming "Java and XSLT."
http://java.oreilly.com/news/javaxslt_0801.html

Learn about servlet filters from this ONJava.com article:
Learning Servlet Filters
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/08/28/filters.html

P2P:
---------------
For several decades, the military has been using large-scale
client-server systems to build networked environments where soldiers
can train in simulated battle conditions. Now the military is looking
at peer-to-peer technology as a way to build these simulations without
a vulnerable central server. Michael Macedonia, the Chief Scientist and
Technical Director for the U.S. Army Simulation, Training, and
Instrumentation Command (STRICOM), talks with O'Reilly editor Richard
Koman about how the military simulates battle, how peer-to-peer
technology could change that, and the advances that have made a $69
flight simulator program as valuable as the multimillion dollar systems
of a few years ago:
P2P Goes to War
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/08/28/p2pwar.html

Security:
----------------
Server load balancers can perform double duty as cost-efficient
firewalls.  Learn why and pick up some useful techniques, including
configuration examples, in this article by Tony Bourke, author of
O'Reilly's recently released "Server Load Balancing."
Load Balancers as Firewalls
http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/loadbalancing_0801.html

The PC world continues to use methods that simply don't protect users
against viruses, worms, trojans, and other infectious code. Here are
the preventive modifications that should be made to every Windows PC,
according to Roger A. Grimes, author of O'Reilly's recently released
"Malicious Mobile Code": Fighting Malicious Mobile Code in a Windows
Environment http://security.oreilly.com/news/maliciouscode_0801.html

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE
Please email me to request review copies.
Press announcement available for your use, please ask for a copy.

Just Released:
----------------------
XSLT
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/xslt/
Sample Chapter 5: Creating Links and Cross-References
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/xslt/chapter/ch05.html

Java Programming with Oracle SQLJ
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orasqlj/
Sample Chapter 8: Contexts and Multithreading
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orasqlj/chapter/ch08.html

Java & XML, 2nd Edition
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javaxml2/
Sample Chapter 12: SOAP
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javaxml2/chapter/ch12.html

The Root of All Evil, by Illiad
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rootofevil/
Sample Strips:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rootofevil/chapter/index.html

Book Reviews in from UGs online:
-----------------------------------
Word 2000 in a Nutshell
Reviewed by PC Clubhouse member, Harvey Ottovich
http://www.pcc.org/reviews/revword2000.htm

Beyond Contact
Reviewed by Licking County Computer Society member, Nancy Rowe
http://www.lccsohio.org/Reviews/Beyond%20Contact/BeyondContact.htm

Thanks to all the groups that write reviews of our books. I am only
able to post online reviews in my newsletter, to save space.

Discount Reminder:
Your members are entitled to 20% off O'Reilly books when purchased
direct. Order online at www.oreilly.com or by phone: 800-998-9938. You
must provide the DSUG discount code in order to receive the 20% off.

UPCOMING EVENTS

O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Service Conference
September 18-21, 2001, Washington, D.C.
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO SEPTEMBER 7th!
http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/
UG member discount available, please enquire.

Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference Best Bets
Conference program chair Rael Dornfest says the rumors of P2P's demise
are greatly exaggerated, and he highlights some of the most exciting
tutorials, keynotes, and sessions at the conference:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/601

OTHER STUFF

Many of your groups offer conferences to the public or have meetings
you may want to announce. I'm happy to include your message in an
upcoming newsletter.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

--Denise