Slashdot for CS

Matthew J Long matt.long at matthew-long.com
Wed Aug 29 18:35:49 CDT 2001

Just like most things--a well conceived idea is as only as good as its
implementation. If you were to do it right (which is obviously subjective),
it could be very useful. I would probably shy away from trying to be a
slashdot, though. While local techie news may be more abundant here than
some areas of the country, there may not be enough of it to retain people
like /. does. Sure, include local tech news, but I think that if you were to
make it a bulletin board for upcoming events (computer shows, UG meetings,
guest speakers in town, etc.), it would be much more useful. Or, you may
want to do it more like a magazine style where you can get people to write
articles on a specific topic. Although, I'm not sure the world needs another
site like that (even though *I* do own the unused
http://www.linuxdevelopersjournal.com - well conceived, poorly implemented).
What do other people think?

-Matt