Fw: Newsletter #7 from O'Reilly UG Program

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 11:02:52 CDT 2001

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:29:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Denise Olliffe <deniseo at oreilly.com>
Subject: Newsletter #7 from O'Reilly UG Program

NEWSLETTER
O'Reilly UG Program
Volume 1 #7

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK....
Books:
 -Malicious Mobile Code
News:
 - Apache::CodeRed
 - The Great Rewiring--an interview with Clay Shirky
 - An Excuse to Use VB .NET Today
 - Top Ten Traps in C# for C++ Programmers
 - HyperCard

NEWS from O'Reilly & Beyond
I would be grateful if you would alert your group to the news they'd
find valuable.

Apache:
-------
Apache::CodeRed
Reuven M. Lerner writes about Code Red 2 attacks, and shows system
administrators how to be alerted to the problem:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2001/08/16/code_red.html

Apple/Mac:
----------
HyperCard
Danny Goodman has insights into HyperCard's history and possibilities
of it's future:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/08/17/goodman.html

C++/C#:
-------
Top Ten Traps in C# for C++ Programmers
http://dotnet.oreilly.com/news/programmingCsharp_0801.html

Web Services & Peer-to-Peer:
----------------------------
An interview with Clay Shirky...
The Great Rewiring
Clay talks about "rewiring" web services and the future of P2P:
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/08/20/shirky.html Clay will also
be online this week to discuss these ideas, so if you want to send in
your thoughts, go to:
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/08/20/shirky.html?page=3#thread

VB/.NET:
--------
Looking for an excuse to use VB .NET today? Jose Mojica describes how
to get around problems associated with component versioning in VB 6 by
using VB .NET. Jose is the author of "COM+ Programming with Visual
Basic." http://dotnet.oreilly.com/news/complus_0801.html

BOOKS hot off the press
REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE
Please email me to request review copies.
Press announcement available for your use, please ask for a copy.

Malicious Mobile Code
http://oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode/
Sample Chapter 11: Malicious ActiveX Controls
http://oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode/chapter/ch11.html

Programmers may want to find out more about the Bioinformatics
field. This rapidly growing industry has many people turning
their heads to start new careers, helping biologists transform
the way they process data.  O'Reilly has released its
first Bioinformatics book:
Developing Bioinformatics Computer Skills
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bioskills/
For a full description on the book, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bioskills/desc.html
also...
In January, O'Reilly will be offering our first Bioinformatics
conference: O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology Conference
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/cfp.html

For NEW and UPCOMING titles, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/new.html

UPCOMING EVENTS

NEXT WEEK:
LinuxWorld
August 28-30
Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco, CA
O'Reilly will be at Booth 1747
Drop by Wednesday the 29th at 4:30 and meet
some of O'Reilly's best authors--bring your favorite
book to have it signed!

SEPTEMBER:
O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Service Conference
September 18-21, 2001, Washington, D.C.
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO SEPTEMBER 7th!
http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/

The conference is central to what's happening now in web services,
with tutorials on SOAP, Jabber, Groove, JXTA and more.

SPEAKER HIGHLIGHT:
Michael Macedonia, PhD, will be offering an overview/infrastructure
conference session on P2P and network-centric warfare. Michael is the
Chief Scientist and Technical Director for the US Army Simulation,
Training, and Instrumentation Command (STRICOM).

Here is what Michael has to say about the P2P movement:

"We are fast approaching a world of 200 million supercomputer tied
together via broadband networks. By 2005, PCs will have 4 Ghz
processors, gigabytes of RAM and terabyte storage while connected via
cable or DSL broadband networks. Layered on this will be graphics
supercomputers called game consoles tied into the same networks for
entertainment-on-demand. The commoditization of high performance
computing and emergence of an enormous P2P fabric  is reshaping our
knowledge culture on a global scale.  As the Chief Scientist for the
Army's Simulation Training and Instrumentation Command, I see this as a
powerful medium for improving the readiness of our forces through
collaborative education and simulation-on-demand."

For more on Michael's session, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/p2pweb2001/view/e_sess/1621

ANNOUNCEMENTS from your peers

FREEMONT, CA:
7th International CCT Users Group Conference
For Specctra Autoroute Users
September 20-22 in Fremont, CA
More information available at
http://www.cctug.org/conference_2001