Monitoring servers

Keary Suska aksuska at webflyer.com
Mon Aug 13 15:25:23 CDT 2001

I make it a rule to avoid RPC if at all possible. It may be more robust and
secure to have a script that gathers the desired information from system
commands and stores it in a log file, executed on schedule by cron. Having
the server collate its own data avoids data loss in the event of a client
connectivity issue. You can then have a daemon script invoked by inetd (if
you use it, but ucspi-tcp is better:
ftp://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/ucspi-tcp-0.88.tar.gz) so it's resource use is
minimized. If the security of the data is important, which I imagine it is,
you could tunnel the communications through ssh, or use scp or rsync over
ssh to collate the data on a client. Stein's "Network Programming with Perl"
is a great resource for networking scripts. There may be a way to use SSL
over custom ports with self-signed certificates, but I have never tried
it--sounds too painful.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.