JavaHelp Guide Published by O'Reilly

Tim Chambers tbc at netbox.com
Sun Jun 18 22:46:46 CDT 2000

For immediate release
Free review copies available
Contact: Denise Olliffe (707) 829-0515 ext 339 or
deniseo at oreilly.com

JAVAHELP GUIDE PUBLISHED BY O'REILLY

Until recently, Java application developers have been forced to develop
their own help system to write online help. That's no longer necessary.
With the release of the JavaHelp software by Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
there is a complete and standard online help system for the Java
platform.

"No software application is complete without documentation. And with an
expanding number of applications being written in Java, there is an
ever-increasing need for a Java-based help system--a help system that
can work seamlessly with Java applications. "JavaHelp fulfills this
need," says Kevin Lewis, author of the just-released "Creating
Effective JavaHelp" (O'Reilly, $29.95). "I think JavaHelp is at a
critical turning point. I've heard of recent Java developer conferences
where Java developers claim to have never heard of JavaHelp. I'm afraid
to ask what these companies are using for an online help system. Sun
has created online documentation that is easy to author, easy to use,
and, best of all, fully functional across all computer platforms. It's
about time."

Effective, instantly-available online help is a requirement for today's
interactive applications. "Creating Effective JavaHelp" shows you how
to create a basic JavaHelp system, prepare help topics, and deploy the
help system in your application. Aimed at all levels of Java developers
and technical writers, the book takes a chapter-by-chapter approach to
building concepts. It will give you a complete understanding of how to
create usable JavaHelp systems and integrate them into Java
applications and applets.

For more information about the book, including Table of Contents,
index, author bio, and samples, see:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/creatingjavahelp/

Chapter 5, Creating HelpSet Data and Navigation Files, is available
free online at:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/creatingjavahelp/chapter/ch05.html

For more information about Sun's JavaHelp, see:
http://java.sun.com/products/javahelp/

For a cover graphic in jpeg format, go to:
ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/graphics/book_covers/hi-res/1565927192.jpg

A piece Customizing Navigation Icons in JavaHelp is available at:
http://java.oreilly.com/news/javahelp_0600.html

# # #

Creating Effective JavaHelp
By Kevin Lewis
1st Edition June 2000
1-56592-719-2, 200 pages, $ 29.95 (U.S.$s)
order at oreilly.com
1-800-998-9938
http://www.oreilly.com