Processing Incoming Mail

John Evans evansj at kilnar.com
Wed Feb 16 13:52:33 CST 2000

Hi Guys!

	I'm trying to setup a script that will take incoming mail, crunch
on it and spit it into a file in a certain format. The crunching and
spitting part is easy... It's getting the mail into the program in the
first place that is giving me a headache.

	I have setup a .forward for for the test account that I am using
that looks like this:
|/staff/tester/bin/inbound.pl

	Here's the directory that the file is in:
tester at kilnar:~/bin$ pwd
/staff/tester/bin
tester at kilnar:~/bin$ ls -la
total 3
drwx--x--x   2 tester   tester       1024 Feb 16 12:49 ./
drwx--x--x   6 tester   tester       1024 Feb 16 12:16 ../
-rwxr-xr-x   1 tester   tester        791 Feb 16 12:30 inbound.pl

	As you can tell, sendmail should be able to read and execute the
inbound.pl script whenever email is sent to "tester at kilnar.com" However,
when email is sent to that address, I get the following as a return mail:

550 /staff/tester/.forward: line 1: |/staff/tester/bin/inbound.pl...
Address <tester at kilnar.com> is unsafe for mailing to programs

	It's obvious that sendmail doesn't think that the script is safe
to run. I'm not sure why this is. Any insight into how to spawn the
inbound.pl so that it can catch the email message and then do its work?

Thanks!

--
  .-.   John Evans <mailto:evansj at kilnar.com>
  /v\   http://evansj.kilnar.com/  telnet://spear.kilnar.com:1066/