MIME encoded attachments

Vance Dubberly vance at coloradosprings.com
Wed Aug 9 15:53:29 CDT 2000

John,
  Mail attachements are usually uuencoded, sometimes base64,  if you read
mail using elm or mail or whatever program you'll see attachments are just a
long series of rows of ascii text actually embedded in the email message.
What I've done in the past is parse the email looking for the boundaries (
encoded part, written it to a file and then used either a system call or
Convert::UU to decode the file.

-v

on 8/9/00 1:04 PM, John Evans at evansj at kilnar.com wrote:

> I finally talked my boss into letting me do a little Perl for a large
> project. It's a small bit, but at least it's a start. Anyway...
>
> What I'm doing is using Mail::POP3Client to log into a POP3 server and
> slurp off emails with attachments. Those attachments are MIME encoded so I
> figure I'll use the MIME::Tools modules to decode the attachments.
>
> The documentation (perldoc) is pretty convoluted (is MIME really that
> complex?) and I was wondering if anyone had other documentation that they
> could refer me to for MIME stuff or if they had done something like this
> themselves.
>
> Any input or insight would be great.
>
> Thanks!

 Vance Dubberly
 Director of Application Development
 ColoradoSprings.com - WOW! Marketing
 Freedom Interactive Media of Colorado, Inc.
 219 W Colorado, Suite 204
 Colorado Springs, Colorado  80918
 719.577.4848 x101
---------------------------------------
 It really doesn't get any easier than this and it all
 starts right here at ColoradoSprings.com
 the hottest jobs around town,
 what's going on in your neighborhood,
 the get it all mall, your new wheels,
 your next house and so much more...
 all in one place!
 If it's local - it's on ColoradoSprings.com!

---------------------------------------
 ColoradoSprings.com, your local homepage, includes
 AUTOfinder, BUSINESSfinder, Digital Village, Get it
 All Mall, HOMEfinder, PEAKlinks.com and  WorkAvenue.
 Great places to shop and find local information!
http://ColoradoSprings.com
http://Gazette.com
http://WOWMarketing.com
One of the symptoms of approaching nervous breakdown
is the belief that one's work is terribly important.
If I were a medical man, I should prescribe a holiday
to any patient who considered his work important.

Bertrand Russell