DoubleClick Opt-Out

John Evans evansj at kilnar.com
Thu Aug 3 14:13:28 CDT 2000

	We talked about this briefly at lunch and I mentioned this page
for opting out of DoubleClick's tracking system.

	Basically, when you get an add from DoubleClick's system, they
(through the web server) read your ID which is in a cookie. This allows
them to track which sites you are going to and build a profile about you.
	There are good reasons for this and bad reasons for this. I'm sure
you can think of the bad ones. DoubleClick's marketing team has come up
with the good ones in a piece of fluff at the bottom of thier opt-out page
as a last-ditch attempt to keep you in their tracking system.

Here was my cookie before I opted-out:
id
80000000d50fba8
doubleclick.net/
0
1468938752
31583413
2869514640
29356910
*

Here was my cookie after I opted-out:
id
OPT_OUT
doubleclick.net/
0
1468938752
31583413
1849761776
29359494
*

	It appears that they are being honest about the whole opt-out
thing. Finally, here is the URL that I was talking about:
http://www.doubleclick.net/company_info/about_doubleclick/privacy/privacy2.htm

	You'll need to visit this page with each browser and each machine
that you use and click on the "Opt Out Button." I'm not sure if other
banner ad sites have a tracking system and/or an opt-out option.

--
John Evans
http://evansj.kilnar.com/