[Phoenix-pm] PERL DBI

David A. Sinck phx-pm-list at grueslayer.com
Mon Mar 13 20:12:00 PST 2006

\_ SMTP quoth Scott Walters on 3/13/2006 21:46 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ On  0, "David A. Sinck" <phx-pm-list at grueslayer.com> wrote:
\_ >
\_ > HAHAHAHAHA.  Guess again.  There's an instance, at least with MySQL
\_
\_ Okay, I don't use MySQL heavy (for reasons of it better garbage), so
\_ I over generalized.  I conceede your point that rare bugs will make
\_ this generalization not always true.

I don't think it's a mysql issue, mysql didn't guess wrong on the
data, it's the dbd driver that guessed wrong.  It might be smarter
now, I've not gone back to retest the pathological cases.  Better,
faster bugs to chase!  :-)

\_ By the way, people who argue small points while ignoring the point of
\_ what was said annoy me.

I didn't ignore the point, I just was adding backfill around it
showing that MySQL DBD, in my experience, was occasionally
pathological.  I was NOT saying Scott was pathological, merely MySQL.
If it was perceived that way, a thousand and one apologies.

\_ Did you really think someone on the list
\_ would be damaged thinking that placeholders always send data out of band,
\_ even when using Informix?

Last I checked, we get all kinds here.  Some might be overly trusting
yet.  :-)

\_ I wrote a hasty reply out of desire to be helpful to someone who was
\_ having trouble with something, not to debate minutia, and have been
\_ punished for it.

No no no, punish is not the perception I wanted.  You gave great
suggestions, I was pointing out not all is rosy with everything.

Until MySQL DBD has bit you (might be fixed now, I haven't checked),
you don't know the pain of trying to track down errors from Perl *not*
doing the right thing.  After you've got multiple dev-hours down
tracking something that shouldn't be and very, very rarely is, then
you can see if my whining is justified.  :-)

If I hadn't been ambushed by a meeting of great pain on ROUS (reports
of unusual size... they do exist!) I would have squashed this
misperception earlier.

Again, MySQL dbd bad, Scott good.

MySQL 4.x fun, possibly later copies as well:
  create table foo (bar datetime);
  insert into foo values ('04:02:31');
  select * from foo;

David