[Phoenix-pm] Gartner Connections and Richard Dice

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Mon Aug 28 01:58:49 PDT 2006

Hey Andrew,

Yeah, well, I was going to save all that until after all of the local
Gartner people agreed to pull strings for Richard (which seems
exceedingly unlikely now that I mention it).

For those of you who missed all of the snake oil being sold around
1999, when some stooge gets billed as an "Internet expert", laugh.
Out loud.  I'm surprised to see that that kind of vague pomp still
impresses suits.  Your average woodland creature learns lessons
more quickler than upper management.

We wonder why upper management is "ineffectual" when they don't have
any savvy of their own, and they get theirs through proxy through
industry trade magazines, mostly owned by CMP, whose columns
publish purchased opinions.  And through sending out and giving
away thousands of free copies of the magazines (the cover price is
a joke), they manage to land them on coffee tables in lobbies in
every company, where desperete management spots them and snags them.

But these shows are a bit more on the level.  Rather than just
selling their opinions out, they're dispensing placebos for huge
amounts of cash.  "Form a stragegy" indeed.  All of that is to get
ineffectual managers doing something that doesn't do any particularly
evident harm, sounds plausible, and makes them feel like there isn't
nearly so much scary stuff out there they should actually have to
know.  And of course, none of these presenters present the opinion
that technical decisions should be left to technical folks.

Disguesting.

-scott