[Phoenix-pm] [job] Linux Admin w/ Perl/PHP Programming

Metz, Bobby W, WWCS bwmetz at att.com
Wed Aug 9 17:49:02 PDT 2006

Sounds about right...I used to use DirecPC back in the day when fair use
policies were being challenged in court, uploads were terrestrial & you
could actually get unlimited nighttime access for a mere $30 and I
remember the delay was more like 450ms, but why guess.  Google calc
searches makes it easy.

Geosynch orbit is 35,786 kilometers = 22,236.3895 miles
speed of light in miles/ms = 186.282397 miles / millisecond
22,236.3895 miles / 186.282397 miles / millisecond = 119.3692 ms
Total one-way delay = 119.3692 ms * 2 = 238.7384 ms
Total two-way delay = 238.7384 * 2 = 477.4769 ms

I used to think the terrestrial upload and older equipment years ago
really took a toll on those round trip ping times but maybe it wasn't as
bad as I thought in comparison to above.  It'd be very interesting to
see someone's ping responses that has one of these services to see how
the estimates stack up.  I wonder if the gateways are in the satelites
now and not @ the ground station like in the 90's.  If so that could
provide really inaccurate ping times if testing to your gateway IP.

Bobby