[Phoenix-pm] [job] Linux Admin w/ Perl/PHP Programming

Benjamin R. Ginter bginter at ndevtech.net
Wed Aug 9 16:36:04 PDT 2006

Brock,

I've been looking at WildBlue who offers broadband speeds using two-way
offset paraboloid satellite dishes.  Some forum posts have indicated that
the latency is still fairly poor, in the 200-250ms range.  I guess the
satellite is at 22k miles or something for geosynchronous orbit and light
can only go so fast.

Near Colville, Qwest does offer DSL and another provider offers point to
point links via microwave with line of sight to their antennas/repeaters.
I've heard Hughes has a business-class satellite service that some doctors
are using for critical telepresence applications that would seem to
require lower delays.

Since 200ms is fairly useless for interactive shells, any other providers
you or the other readers may be aware of would be of interest to me.
Otherwise, I might have to start getting creative with passive waveguides
or smth.  Hell, maybe I should just launch some instrument laden weather
balloons and start my own ISP!  Who says the glory days are over? :)

Ben