[Phoenix-pm] The employement escapades of Scott

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Fri Oct 21 13:51:49 PDT 2005

Just in case anyone out there is actually amused by my antics (doubtful as
it is), here's the latest chapter: someone calls and leaves me a message
at home (with someone who foolishly picked up the telephone -- will
people never learn!?). I call them back (I should have known better).
Now, I'm a consultant, and I establish that immediately. Not only
am I a consultant, but as far as they're concerned, I'm staying that way.
They interview me. They ask for an example of integration. They belittle
it because the company was small. They ask for an example of a large dataset.
They belittle it because it's offline. They never ask about high-profile
clients but I start to tell them just to shut them up. They interrupt me.
Of course, you don't interview consultants -- you hire them, or you
ask for a proposal, and if you ask for a proposal, you accept it or ignore
it.

The next day, they email me. My reply is below. The barbs included, among
other things, my description of having delt with plenty of fibrechannel,
load balancing, SSL acceleration etc, hardware, but never having employed
it for high-volume sites as the kind of dot coms that buy it generally
go out of business, suggesting I think they're going to go out of business.

But the jokes on me. They emailed me telling me to call their CEO so they
can tell me I didn't get the job. I called the CEO to tell him I'd sent
as I didn't have his email address and wanted to him to know that his
underlings (Jeff, in this case) had a written explanation of why I was
refusing the position. His reply was, in a Brooklyn accent, "Yeah, I'm the
CEO, I own the company, and they already got someone", and he hangs up.
You can never be rude too early -- try to be nice and professional about
delivering a turn-down letter and they just beat you to the punch. Damnit.
I lose again.

Then there's the bigger picture -- the dot-coms startups are getting snotty
again, acting like they're hot sh!t. Business has been picking up a little,
but the level of snottiness far exceeds the level of success of the little
bastads.

-scott

----- Forwarded message from Scott Walters <scott at illogics.org> -----