[Phoenix-pm] Meeting minutes: was: Re: 2005-11-16 Meeting Reminder

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Thu Nov 17 08:56:07 PST 2005

Hi everyone,

Here's a synopsis of the meeting.

The chocolate chip cookies were well received. Tricia says you're
all most welcome and proceeded to giggle.

Brock's notebook was run out of batteries by Brock who abandoned
it on the podeum while he sat down and gabbed.

I discovered that the SCC network was censored.

Discussion, during and after the presentation, started with the merits
of OO over modules, and moved to versioning, team communication,
chat vs phone vs Wiki vs email. Self-modifying code and instrospection
where philosophcized over as the subjects of PadWalker, B, B::Generate,
and Perl 6 came up. Perl 5 and Perl 6 backwards compatability was
asked about. The coexistance of interest in and suspicion of Perl 6
continues to amaze me.

Brock, at my request, did an impromptu presentation of his work on
Continuity, a Coro/coroutine based Web app environment that abstracts
away the stateless, sessionless nature of HTTP and lets you write
read apps (damnit! About time!).

An employment fortuitousness presented itself for those who came
to the meeting.

I injected (invected?) bile on strong typing, Wiki, and about 3/4ths
of the subjects I usually invect on.

The tone of the meeting was odd, with so many new faces (glad you
all could make it and I hope to see each and every one of you again!)
and so few old faces. On the other hand, most meetings are probably too
clique-y for new folks. Usually there's both more activities planned and
more people who want to just gab about Slashdot headlines and catch up with
friends than pay attention, both of which are generally good things. Oh well.
I hope people had fun anyway. Even though it was a classroom setting, the
Life hacker stickers and various cool stickers adorned the walls.

Unlike the previous meeting, no attempt was made to record the presentation.

Brock says there are rotated backups of the webserver, so the Wiki is not
lost. Now that I have shell access, I'll try to set up CVS correctly so
that the Wiki can be regressed as needed.

When excited, face blindness and name blindness kicks in for me, so I'm
sorry to everyone I didn't greet -- especially the people I've had
long, interesting conversations with before (d'oh!). I promise, if you attend
10 or 20 meetings, I will start to remember your face and name.

On behalf of all of those who attended, I'd like to express my thanks to
SCC for their hospitality.

Thanks,
-scott