[Phoenix-pm] Meeting on 6/30/2005 -- RSVP, please, and topic suggestions

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Wed Jun 22 12:55:34 PDT 2005

I'm hoping to do OSCON, but it depends how badly I'm stiffed by clients.
I'd be at YAPC right now if this last new client actually paid. Grr.

Okay. Two votes for HTML parsing/scraping. I have to do it, then. I'll
have hand-outs. This is how *I* scrape sites -- it isn't the best way.
In fact, I'm hoping people speak up with their own tips and techniques.
I have a minimal HTML parser that builds a tree, that's a drop-in
replacement for HTML::TreeBuilder that's just a few hundred lines, and
I have code that scrapes email from Budweiser's free email service,
the Library of Congress (bills, amendments, and votes), scrapes my
wishlist off http://half.com, and code that scrapes http://bookcrossing.com
to generate XML feeds of book releases per city.

And if Michael is still agreeable, we'll do High Wire Press technology
too. I'll try to keep it under an hour.

-scott