[Phoenix-pm] Meeting on 6/30/2005 -- RSVP, please, and topic suggestions

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Wed Jun 22 11:53:00 PDT 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to call Nello's and make a reservation. Brock,
Michael, that other fellow who was working with mod_perl whose
name I forgot, a companion of mine, and I are going -- who else?
If we have about 10 people or more, I can get the patio, otherwise
I'll just get a corner booth or something.

I was wrong about YAPC's timing... everyone is flying off right
now and won't be back until after the weekend, so getting a verbal
account is impossible unless it's done by phone. I could stand
up and do something (or sit up, I suppose). Off the top of my head:

o. The making of _Perl 6 Now_
o. Architecture of "Active Wiki Pages" in TinyWiki (secure server-side
   execute of Perl in user-edited pages)
o. How to parse HTML, scrape pages, and crawl sites
o. A really horrible PDF invoice generator in Perl that'll make you want
   to cry
o. Theory and use of Perl6::Contexts (ooh, this would be fuuun) --
   adding Perl 6 style string, integer, boolean, and reference contexts
   to Perl 5 for a mondo cool code effect with greatly reduced suckiness.
   This is another B::Generate hack of mine.

Any requests from the short-lists or on anything at all? Or should
we make Michael Friedman stand up and give an impromptu talk about
his work?

Anyone qualified to give an intro talk about Pugs, the Perl 6
interpreter that came out of no-where?

Also, ICFP programming contest starts in... oh, crud... two days.

http://icfpc.plt-scheme.org/

I've been meaning to put together a Phoenix Perl Mongers team and
tackling one of these. I've done it independantly in the past and it
was a lot of fun -- sleeping four hours in three days and coding
my brains out.

Thanks,