[Phoenix-pm] meeting proposal

Brock awwaiid at thelackthereof.org
Tue Jul 19 15:33:17 PDT 2005

I hear that July is a very popular time for phoenicians to vacation...
maybe thats an indicator for expected response. Hrm.

I'd love to go to OSCON (moreso than DEFCON I think) but can't 'cause
I'm switching apartments right about then :(. I like the idea of a group
trip though. What other things are coming up soon? Perl Whirl anyone?

I'd like to hear about Perl6::Contexts, if you're up to it. I wouldn't
mind talking about my ICFP entry (a collection of simple things --
nonbuffered IO, ad-hoc parsing technique, and Map.pm).

--Brock

On 2005.07.19.00.37, Scott Walters wrote:
> [...]
|      suckiness. This is another B::Generate hack of mine.
|
| I'm also getting ready to write an article, hopefully destined for
| perl.org.  When I figure out what it's going to be about, I could
| beta-test that, but that's up in the air.
|
| Of course, I don't have to speak at all.
|
| Sorry about the Web site.  Things keep getting inserted above it in
| my to-do list. =(  Eventually, though... soon...
|
| Also, anyone going to DEFCON?  http://defcon.org.  In fact, why don't
| all of us go?  What about OSCON?  I'm pretty sure I'm doing DEFCON but
| I'm still trying to finagle OSCON.  I've always wanted to do a Perl
| con but they keep passing me by... right now it looks like if I go,
| I (1) will be riding Greyhound (2) will be sleeping under a bridge.
|
| Okay, that's enough for now.
|
| Regards,
| -scott
|
| On  0, Brock <awwaiid at thelackthereof.org> wrote:
| >
| > Hello all,
| >
| > For those of you who prefer to think of me as the benevolent dictator, I
| > thought I'd let you know that we are having a meeting on Thursday July
| > 29 2005 at 7:00pm at the Scottsdale Public Library, Civic Center. For
| > the (representative-)democratically inclined, I welcome feedback on this
| > time/location. I'll make a full anouncement once we have a topic.
| >
| > And now for the second part... the presentation / talk portion. Once
| > again I refer you to
| >
| > http://web.archive.org/web/20040726180006/phoenix.pm.org/wiki/index.cgi?PerlMongersIdeas
| >
| > for some suggestions. Please mail your suggestions here to the list.
| > Ideally I'd like two shorter talks -- a beginner-intermediate one and an
| > intermediate-advanced. Scott and I both are willing to talk about all
| > sorts of things, and other volunteers are very welcome. Something
| > bugging you about some Perl code you're working on? Some module you'd
| > like to see in action? Now is the time and place to get the dirt on it!
| >
| > recently mentioned suggestions (mostly by Scott... hope he doesn't mind):
| >   * Architecture of "Active Wiki Pages" in TinyWiki (secure server-side
| >     execute of Perl in user-edited pages)
| >   * How to parse HTML, scrape pages, and crawl sites
| >   * A really horrible PDF invoice generator in Perl that'll make you want to cry
| >   * Intro to Perl5 objects
| >   * Using Perl for the ICFP 2005 Contest (which was all sorts of fun)
| >   * Using (pick your favorite web-framework -- lets say CGI::Application)
| >   * other suggestions / volunteer presentations welcome
| >
| > So much to talk about! The floor is open.
| >
| > --Brock
| >
| > On 2005.07.15.00.38, Scott Walters wrote:
| > | Scottsdale Civic Center library sounds good.  That should be a lot more accessible
| > | to people in Mesa and Phoenix but we might lose some of the North Scottsdale
| > | crowd.  I sure don't have a data projector.  If enough people have laptops with
| > | WiFi and the VNC client, we can all get the on the network and do view-only
| > | mode off of the presenter.  Just a thought.
| > |
| > | -scott
| > |
| > |