[Phoenix-pm] Perl Best Practices

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Thu Jul 14 10:37:31 PDT 2005

> "Perl is doomed" to what, exactly?

The same obscurity as "academic" languages such as Scheme and OCaml --
other languages far more powerful and expressive then you'd guess
from how often they're used or hired for.

> But we're also getting waves of people who were taught Java as
> their first language (thats what NAU teaches, ew) and are now like "God
> that is some nasty Java code. But this OCaml/Haskell/Perl6 stuff is damn
> clean!"

Now that's a good point.  And I've already stumbled across some horrid Java
in the wild.

By the way, a past thread on this list debated Perl certification (and
not those brainbench quizes, either).  An argument from one side went
something like... in order to charge money for their trade, electricians,
general contractors, nurses, and practicioners several other skilled trades
all require a license, and this keeps the complete novices out of
professional positions where they can do harm.

> But I'm an optimist, so I may be biased towards Happyness :)

Quite the opposite here >=)

-scott