[Phoenix-pm] job opening

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Tue Oct 5 15:40:04 CDT 2004

Hey billn. Always good to see your text. I take it as a compliment that
you consider my banter worthy of a reply.

One thing I like about forums out of the main drag is I can be a little bit
less correct and a little more melodramatic when arguing a point - sort of like
how politicians pander exclusively to people with no knowledge of any topic.
(Obviously I give Phoenix.PM more credit than that but I'm not trying to get
elected either.)

However, melodrama aside, I do have a point. None of the things you listed
save labor on a scale beyond a room full of researchers. Many of them
offer up new products to market, even enjoyable products, but none of them
further elevate humananity out of drudgery further than what was accomplished by
1980.

But that's moot. My real complaint was something I'd rather hint at than say:
my jobs were banal. Of the dozens of "ecomm" websites I slaved away to
create under deadline, only one is still online. The other companies folded.
This is a blow to a pride that's already been injured by having to write ecomm
websites in the first place. Obviously, if I'd been working on the human genome
project, I'd have no case to complain. And it isn't venting if my problems
are my fault rather than the world's, so I have to misrepresent the case.
However, it all has a happy end: I work on things I consider interesting anyway,
and I consider a diet rich in ramen a small price to pay for the privilege.
It's nice to be able to boo the demons of the 8-5 job with my fellow
Perl Mongers. Re: Darwin, it's true I probably won't have any kids smelling
bad and not having money, so you're right. I can't argue with that.

-scott