Phoenix.pm: Fwd: Internet Annoyances Needed for New Book

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Fri Mar 19 18:13:15 CST 2004

Hi,

1. Installing Flash and Java plugins plugins on Mozilla on Linux/BSD/Solaris/etc.
Lacking Solution: One good FAQ, which I've yet to see, on what files need to be
edit to contain what information and why. I'm dependent on pkgsrc (NetBSD's
package system, FreeBSD has a similar package system that fetches the right binaries
and shoves them in the right places under control of 'make').

2. Sometimes you really need IE on Linux/BSD/Solaris to use an IE only plugin or view
a non-standards-compliant page or use NT domain auth to validate on webservers
in a corporate setting.
Solution: IE runs under Wine, the free Windows API implementation and binary layer.
Wine, available from winehq.com, supports Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris officially,
though NetBSD and OpenBSD maintain ports.

3. 802.11 isn't ubiquitously enough - running to Starbucks or searching maps for
area hotspots is too much bother.
Solution: Several cell carries now have fixed rate data pricing with different
fixed prices and speeds. Sprint is reguarded as the fasting with approximately
a 70kbps data rate (compare to 56kbps for a dialup modem) and T-Mobile, who
also sells 802.11 in chains such as Starbucks, currently has a $20/month
unlimited plan, and throughput is usually between 30kbps and 40kbps. T-Mobile
also has a dedicated unlimited plan that doesn't piggy back on a voice plan,
for use with PC-card modems, that is $30/month. You may need to speak to a few
customer service representitives before you find someone who understands data.
Before purchasing a phone, make sure it is data capable. Don't trust the sales
guys, ask to see the instruction manual for the phone. Don't be mislead by
phones offering short messages service (SMS) or built-in web browsers
(WAP) - you want either a GPRS (general packet radio service) or CDPD
(cellular digital packet data) phone, depending on the technology your
carrier users.

4. Download requires BitTorrent
Solution: How to install BitTorrent on various systems, how to get it, a 5 cent
view of what it is.

5. Users are usually the larger Internet Annoyance. Back in *my* day, there were
writeups on "netiquette" all over the place, and new users were sent there and
ignored until they've obviously read it. Any book on Internet Annoyances *must*
include a brief writeup on network etiquette. Specifically, the Internet is
largely staffed by volunteers. By paying $16 a month to use AOL, everyone isn't
magically obligated to you. There are a lot of users on the net and places
providing help aren't adequately able to deal with all problemx, especially
complex ones and ones where the user themselves hasn't done their reading.
Don't publicly disclose peoples email addresses or other information, but
especially email addresses and hone numbers. This generates spam for them.
Don't cc people whom you haven't introduced. Don't forward email messages

6. On avoiding spam: Hotmail, after Microsoft purchased it, start selling not
only their the email addresses of the people with free accounts there, but
also the email addresses of people who mailed people with free accounts there.
Posting to Usenet, chatting on IRC from a machine that email can be addressed
to, and posting messages on most online bulletin boards will earn you spam.
Several commercial services such as pobox.com offer excellent spam filtering
in a mailbox with a web interface as well as POP access for programs like
Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla, Eudora, and so on.
See also 7, the frequently changing email address.

7. Frequently changing email address
Because of spam or because of ISP changes, email addresses frequently change.
This is a huge annoyance. You can't stop your friends from changing
email addresses (except perhaps by buying them a copy of this book for
their birthday) but you can do something about it for yourself.
pobox.com offers strong spam filtering standard and the email boxes
may be accessed in the same ways that your ISP's boxes may be. That is,
through the web and through Microsoft Outlook, Eudora, Mozilla, and
so forth. Best of all, you can keep your email address when you finish
school, change jobs, or get a new ISP.
Most domain name registrars will give you a mail box and a small amount
of space on a webserver when you buy purchase a domain name from them.
Start at icann.org and read through the various offerings.
If you have a Hotmail or Yahoo account and you're really happy with it
except for the spam, Mozilla, available from mozilla.org, has
Bayeseon spam filtering which takes a statistical approach to word usage
in spam and non spam email address to adaptively learn the difference
between the two given the kind of email you receive. Most users
report it to be almost 100% effective. To use this, you must upgrade
to a paid account at Hotmail or Yahoo with POP or IMAP access to your
email.

8. Your machine has been hijacked by a spammer and now you're sending spam!
Don't open attachments sent to you unless it is both something you're
expecting and from someone you know. Most email-borne worms steal names and
email addresses from the address book and then fake the sender information,
appearing to come from someone you know, so it is never out of place to reply
to the message and ask your friend or associate if they meant to send you
an attachment. This is a mark of an experienced network user, not a novice.
Don't trust what you see. Especially be suspicious of emails that are threatening
in tone, demand you open it immediately, or it promises to fix a problem
you supposedly have. Microsoft and other venders and ISPs never mass
mail binary attachments but instead send you a URL to go to download
the file. This is far more secure, though IE has had bugs which allowed
deceptive URLs.
Keep your software up to date, especially any network applications such
as P2P clients, web browsers, email programs, and especially-especially
the operationg system itself. Microsoft is able to trigger your computer
to download updates through IE, so all you need is a trip to microsoft.com.
Keep your anti-virus software up to date on Windows!
Linux distributions and the BSDs all have upgrade procedures where you
download the latest version of the OS and then boot into the installation
program and request an upgrade to an existing system.
Linux doesn't require anti-virus software for various reasons, but
Lindows (lindows.com) sells it for private use if you must have it.

9. Pop-Up Window Floods
Mozilla can block these, giving you an icon to click on to easily unblock sites
you wish to accept pop-ups from. Opera does an exceptionally good job at
this as well and many people swear by it for that reason alone.
(Konq? Safari?)

Good luck, and best wishes!
-scott