Phoenix.pm: quoting constant hash keys survey

Douglas E. Miles perlguy at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 19 19:23:25 CDT 2004

Apparently, this didn't go through the first time.

Scott Walters wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm soliciting opinions - no experience with Perl beyond the basics are required
> so this isn't for experts only. I want as many opinions as I can get.

<SNIP>

I'm late here, but here's my vote...

I don't like this:

%foo`bar

I think that

%foo{bar} should mean %foo{'bar'}

as this is the common case.

Maybe

%foo<<bar>> should mean %foo{bar()}

unless this violates other uses of <<>>.

Personally, I don't mind typing the (), so I don't particularly feel the
need for extra syntax.  That said, if ` is added and:

%foo{'bar'} is the same as %foo<<bar>>

and

%foo{bar} is the same as %foo{bar()}

I probably just won't use the new syntax.