Phoenix.pm: ` as hash subscript patch

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Sat Apr 17 16:43:49 CDT 2004

For your perverse pleasure/pediantic pain:

----- Forwarded message from Matthijs van Duin <p6 at nubz.org> -----

List: contact perl6-language-help at perl.org; run by ezmlm
Subject: Re: backticks
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:57:57 +0200
From: Matthijs van Duin <p6 at nubz.org>

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 02:18:48PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
>I propose to use ` as a simple hash subscriptor, as an alternative to {}
>and <<>>. It would only be useable for \w+ keys or perhaps -?\w+. As
>with methods, a simple "atomic" (term exists only in perlreftut, afaix,
>but I don't know another word to describe a simple scalar variable)
>scalar should be usable too.
>
>    %hash`key
>    $hashref`foo`bar`baz`quux
>    %hash`$key
>    $object.method`key

I absolutely love it.  Since hashes are used so much, I think it deserves
this short syntax.  Note btw that it's not even mutually exclusive with qx's
use of backticks.  To illustrate that, see:

http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~xmath/perl/5.8.3-patches/tick-deref.patch

It's a quick patch I made that adds the `-operator to perl 5.8.3, so you
can try it how it "feels".

>With some imagination, this can also be used for arrays.

I like that too.  (though not (yet) implemented in my patch)

--
Matthijs van Duin  --  May the Forth be with you!

----- End forwarded message -----