Phoenix.pm: SCO and EFF -- do something

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Wed Sep 3 10:31:53 CDT 2003

Years and years ago, when there was an economy and I was a young lad, I had
a job installing routers and PCs for a VAR that was selling to Circuit City or
one of those companies. I forget. There were thousands and thousands of
these machines. They were redoing their technical infrastructure in each location -
new router, new server, new POS systems. The POS systems ran out of the box,
so I never touched them. The server ran OS/2. Routers were Ciscos. Inhouse
software spanked out custom configuration files that could be uploaded
directly without need for any manual tweaks and all of the upstream
IP addresses and such would be correct. Each server came with a little
box full of software - a copy of OS/2, a copy of SCO, a few other things.
You had to call and pay for it to get an activation code, but they
tried to intice you into doing that with a nice boxed thing full of
software. But this was before CD-ROMs were prevelent. So people were
using floppies. Rather than throw them away, I saved them and took them
home for my own use. In my mothers garage in Minnesota, I have a TV box
full of thousands and thousands of floppy discs containing SCO. I'm not sure
what all of this means.

-scott