Phoenix.pm: Software Developer Needed

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Thu Oct 30 18:53:15 CST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 extramail at cox.net wrote:

> <my 2 cents>
>
> Funny, I interviewed with them 2 years ago. Sounds like they have
> changed a little because one of the things they did for me is sit me
> down and bring up a pretty narly porno pic. They wanted to know if that
> really offended me because I would probably be running into it.
>
> In general, while they had some cool artwork, I didn't get a good feeling from the place.
>
> </my 2 cents>

Considering the customer base, that's really a decent litmus test, all
things considered. Programmers, engineers, even marketing, they deal with
porn. If that's something you can't handle on a daily basis, then don't.

I've been through their interview process as well (although I didn't get
to see any porn, wtf?) I've seen the IP docs of which you speak, and I
asked a lot of the same questions, and the answers you got seem to be
different than the ones I got, likely because the document has been
revised since then. Your concerns are well founded, and it's good to see
people looking out for themselves, especially developers who don't want
their work sucked under a corporate umbrella.

The long and short of the IP documents they presented, and how to keep
your work out of an employer's IP space (Note, I am not a lawyer, please
consult yours.):

1. Declare your side projects, in writing. So long as none of them are in
competition with your prospective employer's primary (or even secondary)
mission, then you're likely in the clear. Get their legal folks to sign
off on a written statement of work for each project, as non-conflicting /
non-infringing, and you're good to go. Bring them up during the interview
process.

2. Work is work, personal is personal, and never the twain shall meet.
Establish *clear* and *hard* boundaries on work you are paid to do, and
work you're doing outside of the company context. This means no coding for
the company on your home box, and no logging into your home box from the
office to tinker with something because you had an idea. The term 'work
for hire' applies to *everything* you do while you're on the clock.

3. If you want to contribute something you are working on to the open
source community, simply ask before you pour a lot of time into it, unless
you have to do it anyway. An example: In a previous position developing
Network Management tools for a major ISP, the work I was doing dealt
directly with our primary product, and a community release of my toolset
would have been potentially damaging to our company's profitability, by
giving tools to the competition. So long as what you want to release would
not offer a competitor an advantage in your particular space, then it's
entirely possible it could be kosher.

Yes, you should absolutely be taking steps to protect yourself.
Conversely, don't be too quick to assume a company is evil and out to
get your work. Everything is open to negotiation. Pre-declared conditions
to employment will often save you.

- billn