Phoenix.pm: Best Methods on Win32

Scott Thompson scottcodes at thepurplehaze.com
Mon Nov 10 20:59:43 CST 2003

Old habits die hard.  I'll take a stake to this one. :)

> Also, modern perls (was it 5.6.0 that did this?) let you use

I kinda-sorta knew this, but see my answer to point 1.  FYI, ActiveState
5.6.1 Build 635 on Win32.

> Also also, if you use the "3 arg" version of open, your scripts are

If promoting 3 args, shouldn't this be the "Also also also" point?  But, yer
right.  Now to be incorporated into all Perl'ing -- 3 Arg Open(s).

> Also also also, if you put a \n on the end of a die string, it

Good to know.  Just put it there for Pretty Output sake.  That's a loong
'a', BTW, as in 'rake'. ;)

> Hence:
>
>   opendir my $root, '>', $localRoot or die "Cannot open directory
> $pathRoot: $!";
>
> Had that been a file you opened, you could do things like:
>
>   $root->flush(); # flush written data
>
> Perl, being an inelegant language, requires us programmers to
> work overtime on style.

Very nice.  Points taken, stored, and put to Good Use.

> All of which is a round about way of saying I don't see any major
> problems =)

Kewl.  Thanks for the input.

Scott T.
The Newer One