Phoenix.pm: UNIX/C/Perl/OO/Oracle/stupid expecatations/out of state/headhunter job

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Mon Mar 10 20:25:42 CST 2003

Hal Goldfarb wrote:
> I did some searching and actually found JOVIAL.
 > Just how OLD are you?   : )

Ah yes.  Jules's Own Version of the International
Algorithmic Language.  It was a dialect of ALGOL
(the original block-structured language) that was
used by the Air Force, I believe, and also by
U.S. Steel in a special purpose system that Burroughs
was building for it ... I was a technical writer
on the project in 1968.

I'm not knitting.  I'm working clerical jobs during
the day, and hacking Perl for a much better rate
(though not like the Old Days) at night.
Oh yes ... JOVIAL is sort of a great-granduncle of
Perl, since JOVIAL was a ALGOL's errant son and
Perl is descended partly from C which is definitely
descended partly from ALGOL, maybe with PL/I in
the chain somewhere in between.

With Perl, we don't need no other stinkin' languages.

P.S. -- I also programmed under *GCOS, which is
memorialized by a field in Unix's password file.

Vic

* Did that as recently as 1995.