Phoenix.pm: Apache::Session::Lock::File under mod_perl

Doug Miles doug.miles at bpxinternet.com
Wed Jan 15 15:22:41 CST 2003

Andrew Johnson wrote:
> Doug Miles wrote:
>
>> Anyone out there using Apache::Session::File and
>> Apache::Session::Lock::File under mod_perl?  The problem I am having
>> is that Apache::Session::Lock::File is aparently not releasing the
>> exclusive lock when the tied hash goes out of scope.  I can get a
>> simple test program to work from the command line, but when I try it
>> under mod_perl, it locks on the tie to the existing session.  If I
>> delete the lock file, it works fine.  Any ideas?
>>

> Sounds like the lock is persisting because the Apache process that
> created the lock still exists.  Are you sure the part of the code where
> you're calling release_write_lock() or release_read_lock() is actually
> being run?

Yeah, the process still exists, but I was executing a release_all_locks
like this:

my $lock = new Apache::Session::Lock::File;
$lock->release_all_locks($session_id);

after I finished "writing" to the session hash.  Now I have an unlink in
the same place, and that works.  That kind of defeats the purpose of
having a lock though. :)