Phoenix.pm: PerlMagick fails to compile

Matt Alexander m at pdxlug.org
Wed Dec 10 10:58:12 CST 2003

David A. Sinck said:

> \_ SMTP quoth Matt Alexander on 12/10/2003 07:47 as having spake thusly:
> \_
> \_ I have a RedHat 9 box with Perl 5.8.2 and I'm trying to install
> \_ Image::Magick.  When I run "perl Makefile.PL" I get the following
> errors.
> \_ Any suggestions on getting this to work?
>

> Is ImageMagick installed?
> Is ImageMagick-devel installed?

Yes and yes.

> Take apart ImageMagick-perl distributed with rh9 and see how they
> build?

I got it working by installing Perl from source in my home directory, then
building ImageMagick from source and pointing it to my new Perl binary.  I
also had to install bzip2-devel.  The "make test" for PerlMagick returned
lots of errors regarding "undefined symbol: XDPSPixelsPerPoint", which
I'll investigate further, but for now I'm able to accomplish what I wanted
with Image::Magick in my Perl scripts.
Thanks,
~M