Phoenix.pm: keep-alives with RobotUA

David A. Sinck phx-pm-list at grueslayer.com
Fri Dec 5 08:04:59 CST 2003

\_ SMTP quoth Michael Friedman on 12/4/2003 23:43 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ [..] More than that can saturate our net connections,
\_ overwhelm the application server, and in the worst cases, crash the
\_ machine.

Back in the day I heard that a pentium 90 could saturate a t1 if it
chose.  Just think if it was requesting the other side to do something
rather than just saturate the network.

I'm guessing you're not using a pentium 90 too.  :-)

\_ Now, we've taken steps to avoid such behavior. If you hit one of our
\_ sites that fast, we'll block you from getting any pages within a
\_ second.

This sounds like a juicy bit, if you care to illucidate?

David