Phoenix.pm: Call for presentations

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Thu Apr 17 15:08:59 CDT 2003

I'd like to see this. I read the general idea but haven't seen the specifics.
For those of you not in the know, the idea is an automatic mechanism for
notifying people when you link to them, in a way that they can handle the
event programatically. Unlike doing something with $ENV{HTTP_REFERRER},
you're notified only once, and immediately, and you don't have to have
referer logic in each page. Sites that interlink heavily but aren't under
central control use this to good effect - sites like blogs. I forget who it
was, it was on slashdot months ago - someone made a HTTP proxy that altered
pages to have a header as it proxied them. The header gave a list of all of
the pages that it knew about that linked to that one. Similar idea, but
presented directly to the user without involving the webmaster. On one
hand, always available, on the other, can't be used as metadata by the
sites themselves. Kind of a web with two way links instead of one, in
that second case. Hrm. A bookmarklets that did that search on google
would be interesting - bookmarklets.com

Okey, enough ranting.

-scott