Phoenix.pm: Perl Design Patterns

Scott Walters phaedrus at illogics.org
Sun Sep 8 04:01:58 CDT 2002

Hi folks...

I've written more examples, more prose, removed prose, and merged
in content from other books (Object Oriented Design Heuristics proved
to be an exceptional book, Refactoring Improving the Quality of
Existing Code was pretty good, but Design Patterns Elements of Reusable
Software I found disappointing).

I'm really unhappy with the prose still. Reading it than reading
something by Larry shows a chasm the size of the grand canyon.

I have some of my things I need to merge in, merge in some examples from
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (an excellent book).

I haven't read the *original* Design Patterns book, by Chrisopher
Alexandar, which was written for architecture, not computer science.
Also, I've been meaning to make it down to ASU and pull Mark and Carl's
book.

There are entire sections I haven't touched and entire sections still
on the first draft.

After exchanging emails with some other perl folks who are working
on similar projects and agreeing to "probably" collaborate, the
text is now officially GNU Free Documentation License. Also, from
mailing a dozen odd publishers (starting with O'Reilly and working down)
the only reply I've gotten was from GNU, which was enthusastic and
cheerful - and quick. Everyone else can sit and spin ;) Of course,
GNU wouldn't pay any money, but they also wouldn't exclude other
publishers. O'Reilly is starting to publish "community documentation".

Anywho, I've got a long way to go, but its a heck of a lot better
than the last revision.

http://www.slowass.net/~phaedrus/perlpatterns/

Feedback, ideas, thoughts, examples of good and bad Perl applications
most welcome.