Phoenix.pm: Reminder: Meeting 10/17/2002

Andrew Johnson aj at exiledplanet.org
Sat Oct 19 17:22:08 CDT 2002

Scott Walters wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Most excellent. Thank you.

You are most welcome.  The code is finally on the site:

http://www.exiledplanet.org/code/exsm/

I tried to add as much POD as I could, but it's still lacking.  Further
feedback is welcome.

Scott, thanks for the example about factory methods and re-blessing
classes.  I think I need to do some other things first, but I'm
definitely going to use that eventually.

Some people have commented about using Exsm with template systems other
than HTML::Template.  There is a CMS written in Perl that allows a
variety of template systems, including HTML::Template and HTML::Mason,
to be used: Bricolage (http://bricolage.thepirtgroup.com).  I think it
would be possible to provide a Bricolage-like abstraction of sorts to
allow different template languages to be used with Exsm; the only places
HTML::Template is explicitly used in the front-end code is in the
Exsm::*->render() methods, so we're talking 3 or 4 methods to rewrite
there.

Of course, the admin interface uses it everywhere, in virtually every
admin script, BUT the admin code is secondary to the actual Exsm system,
and I've been thinking about re-writing it anyway, using something like
CGI::Application to provide a cleaner interface.

Ideas, anyone?  What template systems would you be interested in seeing?
  HTML::Mason?  TT2?  Or would you rather just leave it open so you
could write your own?