Phoenix.pm: Andrew Johnson

Scott Walters scott at illogics.org
Tue Oct 15 22:50:52 CDT 2002

Elements of Programming
with Perl
by Andrew Johnson
Manning Press, 2000
ISBN 1-884777-80-5
$34.95
350 pages

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1274/sam05010008/

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?userid=6T0KVZS05T&isbn=1884777805

We can safely rule out our Andrew Johnson as being former president Johnson,
but does anyone know if our Andrew Johnson is this Andrew Johnson
(the author of Elements of Programming with Perl)?

I hope to make the meeting. I don't remember the name of the new fellow who made
the Slashdot meetup crossover, who happens to also live in Fountain Hills,
but I'd be (very) open to a carpool arrangement. Its that or I'm pouring gas
into the anything-but-efficient Jeep, assuming I can barrow it.

Yet another unrelated note, but I rewrote my Wiki. The one I was using was
3000 lines of Perl-4-ish Perl and took an eternity to load on my poor machine.
The replacement is 50 lines:

http://wiki.slowass.net/tinywiki.cgi?self

Actually, I lie. That was my original version. I've hacked more features on, mostly
text formatting stuff, so its up to about 90 lines:

http://wiki.slowass.net/?self
http://wiki.slowass.net

I've moved all of the Perl Design Patterns material over there, where I've been
working on it. In fact, the new Wiki is just a CVS front end, so I can check things
out on the laptop and hack on it with vi.

If there is any interest (speak up) I'd be happy to do a mini-presentation
at some point in the future, and just do a code walk through. I'd guess that
would take about 20 minutes. The ?self link displays its code. In fact, with
the CVS stuff stripped out, the self-displaying stuff stripped out, and the
"bonus" text formatting stripped out, I can take it down to 26 lines. Thats a heck
of an improvement over 3000. Anyone who writes something in 3000 lines that could
be written in 26 is going about it entirely the wrong way. If 26 lines is cramped
and cryptic, 260 should be *fine*. 3000 is just stupid.

Okey, hope to see you all.

Cheers,