Phoenix.pm: Learning Perl

Frooninckx Craig - cfroon Craig.Frooninckx at acxiom.com
Wed Mar 27 09:53:27 CST 2002

James,
Perl is currently a self-taught language, with most of use building off of
the C concepts that we had before (or some other language for that matter).
The local community colleges offer a class in CGI, which are taught off of
the Perl language (incidentally one of the southern valley instructors is a
member of this list and quite good from what I understand to learn from).  I
learned in the traditional swim-or-sink strategy when I inherited code from
some co-workers in London, I picked up several of the O'Reilly books, the
best one (imho) to start with is Learning Perl.  Perl is very large and
flexible and at first can become very overwhelming, but the easy of speed of
deploying applications makes it well worth learning.  If you have specific
questions, post them to this list, these guys are the best, unlike some PLUG
lists that are always flaming anymore, we remember that we all started
someplace and we all like challenges and to solve problems.  Good luck.

-Craig