Phoenix.pm: UCITA: Meeting to be held in Tuscon

Scott Walters phaedrus at illogics.org
Thu Jul 25 18:14:10 CDT 2002

Howdy folks.

This is off topic.

Slashdot ran a story (today?) about lawmakers, lawyers, business men
meeting in Tuscon to unify UCITA so that it can be adopted by all states.
I wrote a hasty rant and proceded to send it to all 200 or so email addresses
listed. I've gotten a remarkable number of replies. Most of them are
out-of-office notices. Whoeever collected the email addresses did an
incredible job. No one who supported the legislation had any interest
in debating the issue, of course, but I got several notes like
the one attached.

I thought some of you might find this encouraging in a call-to-arms
sort of way.

A lot of law markers are well informed about the issues. Some are
looking the other way. Some don't quite understand how imporant
not having a shrink wrapped license is to software that is
distributed without cost and over the Internet, or that most
applications downloaded fill a nitch far too small to be of
interest to any commercial vender, or that code sharing
is not just swapping apps, but is critical knowledge sharing for
IT professionals.

-scott