(leads and comments) Phoenix.pm: ...and All Good Things...

Scott Walters phaedrus at illogics.org
Tue Jan 15 09:17:48 CST 2002

Congrats, Andrew.

Feel free to send me your resume, when I see things that are up your
alley, my "Andrew" neuron will be more likely to fire.

As Perl programmers, we're in a good position to attack Unix sysadmin
jobs. Java jobs do exist still, and for some reason there are a lot of
SAP and SAS jobs.

I don't want to diss Perl on the Perl list, and even when I'm not beinig
paid, I still sit around and write Perl, but my primary focus has been
to pick up new skills. I'm working on my Java certification, and eyeing
SAS as the next skill in the pipeline. Heather does a lot of her work
in SAS (statistics/dataset minipulation programming language). If anyone
else is similiarly interested in diversifying, perhaps she can be
persuaded to give an introductory talk =)

Quick tally of jobs listed on computerjobs.com a couple months back:
Top jobs:
1. Project Management
2. Database Systems
3. ERP (??)
4. Unix Development
5. Windows Development
6. E-Commerce
7. Networking

Industries reported *not* to be slumped are:
Auctions, Womens Interest, Gaming, Open Source, Entertainment,
Peer to Peer, Weblogs, and Sex.

Some leads:

Pete Klochancy
Atlantis Partners
2390 E Camelback suite 327
Phoenix AZ 8516
Java servlets programming/medical setting

Chance Cheatham, Recruiter, Genesys
chance at gtslink.com

Vanguard Group, Scottsdale Arizona - Financial Industry

empoloyment at ccbill.com - perl, mysql, ecomm, you will be asked to
sign a statement that you have no intellectual property, etc

chanlynum at aol.com - threads, http, sockets, java, C++

staffing at metriscompanies.com - head hunter

Discover/Morgan Stanley Dead Witter
Human Resources
Attn: Admin
2500 Lake Cook Rd
Riverwood IL 60015
Discover has local offices here, but process resumes through IL.
It takes a few follow up calls to get their attention.

Embedded web programming - name of company unknown - fax
resume to 480 736 9211, job #pi04242001. Looks like a head
hunter.

Linux Samba Apache SSH Perl Image Prcoessing C: drankin at uswest.net

Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, www.mayo.edu/mcs

All of these people were hiring at some point in the past month,
if they aren't now. Weither the positions are still open, I don't
know. Many of them I've applied to and never heard back, though I
was assured they received my resume.