Phoenix.pm: Parameter parser

Hal Goldfarb codewell at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 3 18:00:32 CST 2002

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 10:09 am, Doug Miles wrote:
> Hal Goldfarb wrote:
> > I highly approve of your coding style and modular breakdown (similar to
> > mine).  Consistency is wonderful  : )
>
> Thanks.  I tend to optimize for readability.
>
> <SNIP>

Now, if we can just get ALL programmers to agree, maintenance positions would
become attractive.  Problem is that certain individuals seem to think that
other formats are "cute", "artsy", or otherwise self-expressive.  Architects
have a single printing style (individuals all attempt to write the same way);
engineers tend to use small block lettering (more coincidence, or possibly
similar personality quirks); we could even argue that doctors share the same
"chickenscratch" language, decodable only by pharmacists and some nurses.
And don't even get me started on spelling, grammar, and organization.

When 80% to 90% of the lifecycle of a system is spent in the maintenance
phase, I feel that my rant is well warranted.

This is one of the many reasons I feel that our field is so unprofessional.
Thank you for listening to one more very frustrated unemployed software type.

-Hal