Phoenix.pm: CPAN module of the day^H^H^Hnight

Titmas Eric etitmas at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 13:56:19 CDT 2002

There's already multiline commenting built
into Perl, as a result of POD.

Since Perl ignores POD directives, begin a line
with = and the end of the comment is a line
beginning with =cut

use a directive that the pod filters ignore
such as

=begin comment
commented
out
stuff
=end comment

(Taken from Perl Cookbook)
Regards,
Eric Titmas
P.S. still looking for work if you've got any leads.

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/scripts/CPAN/authors/id/K/KA/KANE/Acme-Comment-1.01.zip

> [...]
> uses //. * C#
> C# multi-line style uses /* and */. Single-line uses
> //. * Chill
> Multi-line comments use /* and */. * Clean
> Clean multi-line style uses /* and */. Single-line
> uses //. * E
> Single-line comments use #. * Eiffel
> Single-line comments start with --. * Elastic
> Elastic multi-line style uses /* and */. Single-line
> uses //. * Focal
> Single-line comments start with comment. * Fortran
> Single-line comments use !. * Guile
> Guile multi-line style uses /* and */. Single-line
> uses //. * Haskell
> Single-line comments start with --. * HTML
> HTML style has multi-line commenting in the form of
> <!-- and -->. * Hugo
> Multi-line comments begin with !\ and end with \!.
> Single-line comments are not implemented due to
> their similarity with multi-line comments. * Icon
> Single-line comments use #. * Intercal
> Single-line comments are marked with DO NOTE THAT
> and may optionally be preceded by a line number in
> the following syntax: (23) DO NOTE THAT. * Java
> Java multi-line style uses /* and */. Single-line
> uses //. * Joy
> Multi-line comments use (* and *). * LaTeX
> Single-line comments use %. * LISP
> LISP single-line comments begin with ;. * Orthogonal
> Orthogonal single-line comments begin with ;. *
> Parrot
> Single-line comments use #. * Pascal
> Multi-line comments use (* and *). * Perl
> Single-line comments use #. * PHP
> PHP multi-line style uses /* and */. Single-line
> uses //. * Pilot
> Single-line comments in the syntax \/\/ are
> supported. * PL/I
> Multi-line comments use /* and */. * PostScript
> Single-line comments use %. * Python
> Single-line comments use #. * Ruby
> Ruby multi-line comments begin with =begin and end
> with =end. Single-line comments use #. * Scheme
> Scheme single-line comments begin with ;. * Unlambda
> Single-line comments use #. * Var'aq
> Multi-line comments use (* and *).
> CAVEATS TOP
>
> Because of the way source filters work, it is not
> possible to eval code containing comments and have
> them correctly removed.
> NOTE TOP
>
> Some of these programming languages may be spelled
> incorrectly, or may have the wrong quote characters
> noted. The majority of this information was found by
> searches for language specifications.
>
> So please report errors, as well as obscure
> commenting syntax you know of.
> AUTHOR TOP
>
> This module by Jos Boumans <kane at cpan.org>.
> Acknowledgements TOP
>
> Thanks to Abigail and Glenn Maciag for their
> suggestions.
> COPYRIGHT TOP
>
> This module is copyright (c) 2002 Jos Boumans
> <kane at cpan.org>. All rights reserved.
>
> This library is free software; you may redistribute
> and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl

=====
Eric Titmas
480-926-1379
etitmas at yahoo.com