Phoenix.pm: Information for Roger

Doug Miles doug.miles at bpxinternet.com
Fri Nov 30 12:18:37 CST 2001

Roger, I really appreciate you taking care of this.  Here is the
information that Professor Bernardi requested.  Please let me know if
you need more information.  I'm still organizing this, so some of the
information is incomplete, and may change.  I'm sending this to the list
so every one gets all the information.

Professor Bernardi said:

> I think we can work something out.  Please send me specifics:  bio of
> speaker, date or talk, size of audience, technology needs, etc.

Damian's Bio (http://yetanother.org/damian/damian.html):

Damian Conway is known as the "Mad Scientist of Perl". He has a Ph.D. in
Computer Science and currently a Research Fellow in the School of
Computer Science and Software Engineering at Monash University,
Melbourne, Australia.

A popular speaker and trainer, he is also the author of several infamous
modules including: Parse::RecDescent (parsing without lexing),
Lingua::EN::Inflect (English transformations without a dictionary),
Lingua::Romana::Perligata (Perl programming without English),
Class::Multimethods (polymorphism without objects),
Quantum::Superpositions (quantum computing without tears), and Coy
(error messages without karma). A three-time winner of the Perl
Conference's Larry Wall Award, Damian is now banned from future
competition and instead has the conference's Best Technical Paper named
after him.

He is a member of the technical committee for the Perl Conference, the
convener of the annual Perl haiku contest, a columnist for The Perl
Journal, and author of the book Object Oriented Perl.

Damian is closely involved in the design of Perl 6, where his job is to
tempt Larry with evil ideas (such as properties, switches, currying ,
superpositions) and to explain Larry's apocalyptic visions.

He lists his technical interests as: programming language design,
teaching programming, object orientation, software engineering, natural
language generation, synthetic language generation, emergent systems,
declarative programming, morphing, human-computer interaction, geometric
modelling, the psychophysics of perception, nanoscale simulation, and
parsing.

He lists his personal interests as: reading, fitness, cinema, and Total
World Domination.

In his spare time, he travels barefoot across the U.S. -- teaching,
playing his flute, having alopecic flashbacks, preaching pacifist
philosophy, and generally beating the tar out of bad guys with his
deadly kung-fu skills.

Date:
Sunday, Jan 27 2002 4:00pm - 7:00pm.

Talk:
"Extreme Perl": http://www.yetanother.org/damian/events/Extreme.html

Size of audience:
I'm going to guess under 20, but Damian will be putting this in his
diary, so we may have more.  I'll have more information on this in a few
weeks.  I hope that's not too vague. :)

Technology needs: