Phoenix.pm: Perl Advocacy

Tran Forsythe forsythe at primenet.com
Mon Jan 22 22:37:08 CST 2001

On Friday, January 19, 2001 10:50 AM "Scott Walters" <root at slowass.net>
wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 Cakperldev at aol.com wrote:
> > He is interested in it but has some reservations about converting our
entire
> > system to perl. I have already used perl to solve some really sticky
problems
> > in our system so he knows that perl can do the job. His concerns are
about
> > the longevity and viability of perl as a language. Will it be around in
two

> Perl is probably the most popular langauge for web usage (can anyone
confirm
> or deny this?). Perl comes with all major Linux distributions and installs
> by default. ActiveState markets it and support for Windows. Microsoft has
> announced plans to officially support it for Windows (and has funded
ActiveStates
> development).
>
> > years? Who maintains it? If we update our database, where do we get new
> > drivers? Who supports it? That kind of thing.

I came in late, so most of the good answers are taken ;)  The only thing I
can add is that ActiveState also (aside from Windows) distributes binary
versions of Solaris and Linux that run right out of the box.  They're pretty
efficient install packages at that.  So, if you're running any of the above
OS's, you can get official support from ActiveState if you use theirs.

Hope this doesn't come too late,
-Kurt

------

"Push to test."