Phoenix.pm: Perl Advocacy

Cakperldev at aol.com Cakperldev at aol.com
Fri Jan 19 08:06:35 CST 2001

Hi there everyone. Hope Tuesday's meeting went well.

I have a question about advocacy that I'd like your thoughts on.

First, some background.

I work for the Phoenix Municipal Court in the IST department writing and
maintaining software for our Court Management System. This system is written
in a language called JAM. The system is currently character based and the
court would like to move to GUI. There are a number of possible commercial
solutions all of which have some drawbacks so I took the liberty of
developing and demonstrating a possible perl/Tk solution for my boss as
another option.

He is interested in it but has some reservations about converting our entire
system to perl. I have already used perl to solve some really sticky problems
in our system so he knows that perl can do the job. His concerns are about
the longevity and viability of perl as a language. Will it be around in two
years? Who maintains it? If we update our database, where do we get new
drivers? Who supports it? That kind of thing.

So my question to you is, if you were in my place, what resources would you
point your boss to in order to improve his/her comfort level with perl as a
real world solution?

Thanks
CAK