Phoenix.pm: update of HUGE text file

Mark A. Sharkey mark at wcws.com
Mon Oct 2 13:39:46 CDT 2000

Is there a way in perl to do an update on a huge (100MB+ text file) without
bringing the whole thing into memory?

I have client that is using a text file as a make-shift database table.  The
client needs to be able to add/modify/delete lines in the text file.  He does a
search against the file, edits the results, and then needs to make the edits
"stick".

Can I make modifications to certain lines in the file, without reading the whole
thing into memory?

If this is explained by the Camel someplace, even just pointing me in the right
direction would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Mark

--
Do you want the power and flexibility of having your own
iServer without the risk or hassle of maintaining it yourself?

Professional management of your iServer account
http://www.iServerPros.com

| Mark A. Sharkey           | mailto:mark at wcws.com  |
| World Class Web Sites     | http://www.wcws.com   |
|                           | 800 844 4434          |
| Custom CGI Scripts        | 480 461 9765          |
| Perl PHP MySQL JavaScript | 480 461 9312 (fax)    |