Phoenix.pm: an infobot, for your comfort and convenience

Douglas E. Miles doug.miles at bpxinternet.com
Thu Mar 30 13:16:58 CST 2000

Pablo Velasquez wrote:

> Greetings:
> Our server is having problems and I'm researching some type of Perl
> monitoring system. A beeper should be arriving this Friday so I can
> e-mail-to-the-beeper is the server goes down.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for possible Perl programs they've used to
> monitor a server, http, mysql (to make sure it's still responding)?
>
> Sure would appreciate it, thanks!
>
> -Pablo

I don't know of anything off hand, but you should be able to hack
something together pretty quickly using:

LWP (HTTP stuff)
DBI
DBD::mysql
MIME::Lite

I've used all of these in some way or another, and all are pretty simple
to use.  Use LWP to request a page from the web server, DBI/DBD::mysql
to connect to MySQL, and MIME::Lite to send out the errors when they
occur.  Good luck!

--
- Doug

Socrates is a man. All men are mortal. Therefore, all mortals are
Socrates.