Phoenix.pm: UCITA Article

Bryan Lane Bryan.Lane at VITALPS.COM
Mon Jun 26 14:37:01 CDT 2000

That is a very interesting viewpoint....  I guess it is giving them more
rope to hang themselves with, but in the mean time, it makes it hard for
consumers.

Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Walters [mailto:root at nebuchadnezzar.slowass.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000 11:13 PM
To: Phoenix.pm
Subject: Re: Phoenix.pm: UCITA Article

Hmm.
Reading this, it sounds like it will give software writters further room
to hang themselves with, and allow them to become even more slothly. Most
major companies favor regulations that make it harder to work in their
industry, thus weeding out the weak and small. If, under the protection of
this bill, Microsoft is allowed to become buggier, and more hostile twards
consumers, free software can only benefit. Before I read the article, I
assumed it might be something like Germany's software laws: that you ARE
liable for what your software does, and you can't disclaim it  - more
accountability, not less. This would damage free software, as they would
be accountable for those rare bugs that did crop up, and they would be
restricted from beta releases that allow the final testing to be done by
the consumer. This sounds just like Bill's work, weither or not it is. I
can only hope that like Steve Jobs, we all eventually wise up and realize
we were betrayed.

-scott