Phoenix.pm: help!

Kevin Buettner kev at primenet.com
Fri Jun 9 16:12:00 CDT 2000

On Jun 9,  2:52pm, Ammon Cooke wrote:

> ><1) man rcs/cvs/...>
> What does this mean?

Look at the man pages for rcs, cvs, etc.  I.e, consult the documentation
for one of these version control utilities.

> >2) use version control religously
> I have been careful to do this.

Good.  What are you using?

> >3) diff my-broken-script.cgi my-virgin-source.cgi
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           Interchange these arguments.  (You still get useful
	   output even as is, but if you ever need to make a
	   patch for someone, you'd better get used to putting
	   the "old" file first.

> diff?

Do a "man diff" for more info.

But, in a nutshell, the diff program shows you the list of differences
between two versions of a file or two directories with the same files.
You will probably want to use one or more option flags with diff because
by default, it produces output suitable for feeding into ed.  I
recommend "diff -up" for most purposes, but occassionally
"diff --side-by-side" is useful too.  (But do look at the documentation
for diff.  If you're not familiar with it already, you should be.  It
is an incredibly useful tool.)

> >4) perl -cw my-broken-script.cgi
> -cw?

-c is check