Phoenix.pm: Perl Syntax Highlighting with Vi

Kevin Buettner kev at primenet.com
Tue Jul 4 18:54:27 CDT 2000

On Jul 4,  3:20pm, Pablo Velasquez wrote:

> This is half perl related :) I finally switched to using VIM full time.
> Things are going great, but I do miss my syntax highlighting when I was
> using windows... I installed VIM and ":version" does say it is active. When
> I type ":syntax on" what happens when looking at my perl code is I get
> words "underlined" and no color of any kind. I'm using SecureCRT to login
> with ANSI color enabled. Meaning, I can do this "ls --color" and I see
> folders in blue etc...
>
> If anyone uses color syntax highlighting and this question sounds familiar
> to them I'd greatly appreciate any clues...

You should give xvile (or ordinary console vile) a try.  Its perl
syntax highlighting is pretty good.  See http://vile.cx/

Better still it can be built to use perl as an extension language.
I've written a number of scripts to extend the capability of this
already amazing editor.  (Most of the scripts that I've written
are included with the source distribution.)

Kevin